- Need to access links from URL shorteners like bit.ly, and tinyurl.com
- Student enrolled in virtual school cannot access links provided by their instructor.
- The web filter is showing a block page with a category of security.shorteners
A URL shortener takes a long link and turns it into a shorter, easy-to-share one. This provides a memorable, typeable link that is useful for business cards, print ad, or any other situation where someone can't click on a hyperlink.
The problem with URL shorteners is that they hid the true link until typed it in, which from a network security standpoint makes hard to verify that it is safe. The district blocks shorteners; however, if you feel the website is safe, you can unshorten the link using the directions below.
To unshorten the link:
- Go to https://urlex.org/
- Copy and paste the link into the text box.
- Press "Expand"
- The URLEX website will "expand" the shortened URL so that you can, after reviewing for appropriateness, go to the site.
Alternately if you click on the link on your cell phone or home computer while not on our network. You can then resend the link to yourself once expanded.
How to "Expand" a short link (Video):