If at all possible, information should be posted on the website so that it is translatable, and accessible to screen readers. When it is necessary to post a PDF, they should be accessible to screen readers. There are two ways to assure items are searchable:
Create the document in Word and...
- Make sure it has headings
- Give all images alternate text. (Yes, images get alternate text even in documents.:)
- Make link titles readable. i.e. the long Teams links should be hyperlinked as title - '10-27 TEAMS Meeting Link'
- Export to or Save as PDF (Don't print as PDF)
If the document was created by someone else or was scanned as an image….
- Check that it is not an image. (Can you search it?)
- Convert to Optical Character Recognition(OCR)/searchable PDF in Adobe.
If you are scanning PDFs from a printer or scanner they will most likely be saved as an image. These are not accessible. You can set up your Brother scanner to scan accessible documents, or you can request Adobe DC so that you can convert PDF images.